Sunday, February 5, 2012

Beer Can Chicken

I'm behind on my posting-- this was originally written in July, and then set aside until I got around to uploading photos, six months later.  Pretend it's summer, and fire up the grill!

This has become a staple dinner for us; we've been eating it almost weekly all summer.  It's very easy, and turns out a perfect chicken every time, with juicy meat and crispy skin.  Except for once.  It turns out that turning off the middle burner IS important. 



Ingredients:
Whole chicken (4 lbs. or so)
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Olive oil
Can of beer 

Equipment:
Beer can chicken rack
Grill! 

Directions:
1.  Drink a third of the can of beer.  Or pour it out, if you'd rather.
2.  Generously sprinkle the cavity of the chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
3.  Jam the chicken onto the beer can.  This will take some wiggling.
4.  Rub olive oil and sprinkle a little more salt and pepper over the outside of the chicken.
5.  Grill over indirect medium-high indirect heat for an hour or so, or until an instant read thermometer in the thigh reads at least 165.  While I like my beef rare, I prefer my poultry pretty well done; I usually go until 180.  It'll still be juicy.  

The indirect part is important, or you will end up with this:


Serve with grilled corn on the cob; eat with your fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment